Saint Anne’s has over two dozen windows in the main Sanctuary and the Chapel. The windows date from the 19th century and were commissioned from famous studios, including six from the Tiffany Studio in New York.
The Chancel Windows
The three windows in the front of the Sanctuary (above the altar) represent – from left to right – Saint Anne, the Ascension, and the Virgin Mary holding the Christ Child. All three are Tiffany windows, installed in 1909, and given in memory of the first Rector of St. Anne’s, Dr. Edson.
The Saint Peter Window
The Saint Peter window, to the left of the back of the Sanctuary, was designed by Tiffany Studios and installed in 1892 in memory of John M. G. Parker, and given by his wife.
The Saint Luke Window
The Saint Luke window, to the right of the back of the Sanctuary, was designed by the Philip Slocum Studio and was installed in 1893. It is a memorial to Dr. and Mrs. Charles A. Savory, given by their daughter.
The Charity and Devotion Window
The Charity and Devotion Window, along the left wall of the Sanctuary, is the church’s oldest stained glass window. It was installed in 1872 and given as a memorial to Katherine Burke and Jane Green by their husbands.
The Pentecost Window
The Pentecost Window, directly behind the Charity and Devotion Window, shows the Apostles receiving the Holy Spirit. It was installed in 1893 and was given in honor or Katherine and Jesse Phelps.
The Girls’ Friendly Society Window
This window was installed in 1945 to commemorate the fact that the first branch of the Girls’ Friendly Society in America was started in Lowell, Massachusetts in November 1877. The Society’s purpose was to help lonely working girls in the Lowell who had left their homes to work in the textile mills. Click here for more on the G.F.S.
The War Memorial Window
Installed in 1950, and designed and executed by the Bosland Studio of New Jersey, this window is made with over 2000 pieces of imported and domestic glass as well as some sections of painted glass. It was given by the members of St. Anne’s in memory of all from this Parish who have served our country in wartime.
War Memorial Window
The Fay Family Window
Installed in 1920, this window depicts the Virgin Mary on the right and St. Agnes on the left. It was designed and executed by the C.J. Connick Studio in Boston and given by Blanche Fay McGannon and Edgar Larkin Fay in memory of their mother and sister. It has a great deal of blue glass, much of which came from France.
Fay Family Window
The Cherubs Window
The Cherubs Window, installed in 1908, was designed and executed by Tiffany Studio, New York. It was given in memory of the three Chambré children by their father Dr. Albert St. John Chambré, the second rector of St. Anne’s. All three children died of whooping cough on the same day. The three Chambré children face forward; a fourth child’s head in profile was added by the artist for balance.
The Burke Window
Also known as the Resurrection Window, this is the oldest and most valuable Tiffany window at Saint Anne’s. Installed in 1898, it is located in the Chapel and depicts Easter morning and the empty tomb.